Thursday, January 29, 2009

Turkey Chili

Last night I settled in for the Ice Storm of '09, and made a big pot of healthy turkey chili

Cast of characters: ranch style beans with jalapeno, chili beans, black beans, crushed tomato, yellow onion, cumin, chili powder, paprika, cayenne pepper, garlic powder, salt & pepper

and the star of the chili, turkey breast

extra lean, 120 calories and 1 gram of fat
I used my dicer to cut onion
I love how uniform the pieces are when you use this chopper

add ground turkey to hot skillet and brown, add onions and saute with the meat

when the meat is "browned" it will be all white, a bit strange looking....but so much better for the waistline
I added a lot of seasonings, (no measurements, just eyeball it) smoked paprika, chili powder, cumin & Cayenne pepper then add lots of garlic powder and salt and pepper

I drained the beans and rinsed off the juice and then added to the mixture

Added a large can of crushed tomato and water, bring to a boil, then lower to simmer and cook for 2 hours. It was kinda water~ey, but the longer it cooked the more it thickened. It really was delicious and made enough for 4 army's.