Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Stuffed Zucchini

As a kid, I would always order the Italian Sampler plate at Olive Garden and on it was fried zucchini, which I LOVED. I still love zucchini, but of course shouldn't eat it battered and deep fried, so I made my own version and it was awesome!
Cast of characters: 1 large zucchini, half an onion, diced tomato, sliced mushrooms, garlic, olive oil, panko bread crumbs, S&P and mozzarella or parm cheese

Slice zucchini in half lengthwise and with a large spoon hollow out the middle

chop the "guts" of the zucchini into small pieces and set aside
chop onion and saute with olive oil & garlic
while the "stuffing" was sauteing, I put s&p on the zucchini and put in a hot oven to start cooking
Once the onion is translucent add the diced zucchini, mushrooms and diced tomatoes & season to taste
cook until all the liquid has evaporated
add a generous handful of panko or other breadcrumbs
scoop the filling back into the hollowed out zucchini, top with a little cheese & bake at 350 until the cheesey is bubbling & zucchini is tender


It tasted just like I remember the fried zucchini from Olive Garden tasting & way less calories!