Friday, March 05, 2010

Black Bean Burger

The stuff that makes it taste good: Worcestershire, hot sauce, paprika, crushed red pepper, garlic powder, salt & pepper

The stuff that makes it stick together: flour, egg white, olive oil is for the cooking process later

1 can of black beans drained & rinsed (I cook for one, but if you are making these for your family, I'd use 2 cans)
chopped a small onion and sauteed
mash black beans with a potato masher or your hands
add a few dashes of the Worcestershire, hot sauce & seasonings (I like things hot, so I add a lot of seasonings, but for wussies, you might just add a pinch). I also added the onions and 1 chopped scallion for a little color. Add the egg white and 2 tablespoons of flour. Stir everything together & form into patties. You may need to add more flour of the mixture feels too wet to hold its shape.
I put the plate in the fridge for a little while to help the patties stay together better
Heat a skillet or grill pan, add olive oil enough to coat bottom of the pan and cook 4 mins
Flip & cook another 4 mins
Finished product! Looks just like an all beef patty doesn't it?

I served it with Ore-Ida zestie baked oven fries. Enjoy!