Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Island Food

Now you know that FOOD is a huge part of a vacation for me. So I took lots of pictures of our delicious St. Thomas food.

Ryan's famous fruity ice drinks, with fresh crushed mint, to sip while we took a dip in the poolHad to make a smoked cheese run, when we are together large quantities of either smoked gouda or smoked cheddar are consumed.
Our first dinner. I had blackened wahoo. YUM!
Day 2 we went over to St. John and had some appetizers, this is a spicy seafood dish: crawfish, scallops, shrimp and onions in a spicy broth
Conch Fritters
Alligator bites, these babies were SPICY!

Local lager (but I read the label and it's bottled in FLORIDA, haha)

Tuesday night we had a FEAST at the full moon party, more about that in another post

For my birthday I wanted to try a local place. St. Thomas is SUCH a poor community that these "local" places are about the size of a cubical, not air-conditioned and usually on the side of a hill. This place was no exception. We had stewed pork, beans and rice, potato salad and a green salad. The pork was real tender and had a nice flavor. It was def an "experience"


The night of my birthday we grilled at the Villa. Ryan made us: new york strip steaks, baked potatoes, squash & onions and this delicious local baby eggplant. I'm so disappointed I didn't get a picture of the whole meal.

Vacation food did not disappoint! Stay tuned for more.........