Wednesday, September 01, 2010

sausage & white bean soup

This to me is comfort food. I found this recipe in a HEB weekly advertisement. Aaawwww, HEB...I miss that store. Who knew you could LOVE a grocery store? I do. Anyway, I used to make this soup once a week when I lived in Austin. It's got all my favorite things: GARLIC, tomato, white beans and sausage! YUM. {My family is prob gagging, this is their version of Big Brother SLOP!} I don't make it much anymore, but when I do the flavors and smells take me back to that tiny kitchen with that cast iron dutch oven {which I regret, NOT taking possession of} football blaring in the background........................

Cast of characters: baby spinach, onion, garlic, 2 cans of white beans (navy, cannelloni or great northern are all good), garlic, can of tomatoes, chicken stock and Italian sausage.

Remove the sausage from the casing and brown in a super hot skillet.
I usually use two links, but of course you can add as much or a little as you want.
add diced onion, garlic and salt to the sausage mixture
drain and rinse the beans
add to sausage & onion
Add a quart of chicken stock and the can of tomato and let simmer
it will become this lovely color
right before you are ready to serve add several big handfuls of spinach,
it will wilt down in no time
ENJOY!