Friday, November 14, 2008

Bottom of the jar.......

So I learned this trick from Rachael Ray's talk show and think it is SO clever. You know when you get to the last little bit in the jar and if you're like me you are too cheap to just throw it away, but it's not enough to make anything with. Well here is your solution, add something else to it and make a whole new sauce or dip. You can apply this to anything sweet or savory.


I had a jar of chunky salsa, that wasn't really enough to do much with and then I remembered this idea. So, I added a little water, minced garlic, chopped green onion, salt, pepper, cumin, smoked paprika and Worcestershire. Then I put the lid on and shook it all up and made my own Spanish style marinade. I added the marinade to chicken breast and sliced onions, then grilled them and had some delicious fajitas. Here is how it went down.

(Chicken in the bottom of the jar sauce, sorry the picture is a little ORANGE, guess I forgot to turn the flash off. The sauce of course has a red~ish tint from the salsa, but the color didn't look as weird as it does in this picture)

Finished product with a side of Charro beans, more on those delicious things in a future post.

Here is another different bottom of the jar idea:
Peanut butter! Zap in the microwave for a few seconds to thin out the peanut butter then add soy sauce, chopped scallions and garlic for a Thai peanut sauce. Lesli, you will love this!

I'll be jotting these down as I think of some new ones to share. If you try any let me know.
HAPPY COOKING!