Thursday, January 06, 2011

What am I?

What am I?

I am classified as a possible human carcinogen by the EPA and by the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC). I am the fifth-largest creator of hazardous waste. When I burn, 57 chemical byproducts are released. The process of making me pollutes the air and creates large amounts of liquid and solid waste. Toxic chemicals leach out of me into the food I hold (especially when heated in a microwave). The chemicals I’m made from threaten human health and reproductive systems. I am made from petroleum, a non-sustainable and heavily polluting resource. I can be recycled, but it’s very expensive and therefore, I end up in landfills most of the time.

I am a Styrofoam cup.
I'm a bad offender of the Styrofoam cup...especially at work, cause they are readily available for tea, water and softdrinks. Cutting back on Styrofoam is certainly a manageable New Year resolution.

Thinking I'll be investing in one of these!