Monday, March 14, 2011

Pulled Pork

PULLED PORK, here is how I did it

I used bone in pork shoulder. I seared it on all sides for a few mins in super hot pan BEFORE I added to slow cooker.
Combined the "sauce" stuff & added salt, pepper, and whole garlic cloves. I didn't have cider vinegar so I used combination of white & red wine vinegars. I also added some coca cola (my grocery store is doing a coupon game thing right now and it was free) put the pork in the slow cooker and poured "sauce" all over it. Let it cook for about 2 hours. Then added a quartered onion to it.
I cooked on high for 4 hours. Removed pork, the big bone fell right out and shredded the meatPut the remaining sauce in a pot and let it come to a boil and reduce. Strained sauce to get rid of any big pieces of fat and garlic cloves etc and pour sauce over the meat.


It tasted really good, but the pork shoulder had quite a bit of fat on it, which made it pretty greasy. I would make this again using pork tenderloin or a pork shoulder that had little to no fat on it. I made coleslaw to go with it & served on thick rolls. It made enough for an army!


Here is the actual recipe!


1 (3lb) pork shoulder


1 envelope Lipton onion mushroom soup mix


1 cup ketchup


1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar


1/4 cup apple cider vinegar


1 tablespoon hot sauce


arrange pork in slow cooker. Combine ingredients and pour over pork; turn to coat. Cook covered on LOW 8 to 10 hours or HIGH for 4 to 6 hours until pork is tender. Remove pork; reserve juices. Shred pork with fork, then stir into reserved juices. Serve on rolls.